Blog

My latest thoughts, research, and words of encouragement.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Intense Exercise and Cancer-Related Fatigue


From the mouth of my oncologist, Dr. Vishnu:  “Cancer sucks” – and he’s right.  During the battle of fighting this disease I’ve been exposed to chemotherapy, infections and complications that have caused me to lose over 45 pounds of lean body mass and, I kept thinking…  I need to get that back.  The best way I know how is by moving steel at above than normal loads and velocities.  However, there is a problem.  I felt so fatigued!  I’m so tired all the time - mostly to the point that I really don’t feel like doing anything except lying down all day.  I knew I needed to get out of this mindset fast.  But, before I began, I wanted to find out more about the subject:

Does high intensity weight training help to reduce cancer-related fatigue during chemotherapy?

These two articles are of interest of the dozens that I perused.

In this article, (Wyrick et. al., 2009) found that up to 70-100% of cancer patients suffer from cancer-related fatigue.  The concern for the patients was common:  Will exercise reinforce the fatigue or help diminish it during chemotherapy?  According to this study, by incorporating both an aerobic and strength training program, evidence revealed a reduced fatigue rating with an improved quality of life.  Out of the 27 studies reviewed in this literature, only 2 involved actual resistance training – so I wanted to dive a bit deeper.  (Adamsen et. al., 2009) incorporated a large base of subjects (over 200), of which I found the most comprehensive training regimen that included low and high intensity strength training, preparation and recovery methods that included yoga and message.  I was a little disappointed to see that the strength training exercises dealt primarily with machines (including a crunch machine – not a fan) such as the leg press, chest press and knee extension.  These exercises have little to no functional value to everyday living.  But the evidence is persuasive – reduced fatigue and improved quality of life for those that are currently going through chemotherapy by incorporating intense exercise.  Here are my findings:

·         Exercise works on reducing cancer-related fatigue during chemotherapy
·         Modes/types of exercise work
·         Intensity of exercise needs more research
·         Duration of exercise needs more research
·         Recovery of training is absolute

This gave me the informational green light I was hoping to find.  Many of the protocols and program details are under debate, but enough evidence was given to prove that intense exercise helps to relieve cancer-related fatigue.  What’s most excellent you ask?  This:  I’ll conduct my own research and use what is familiar to me.

·         Kettlebell Snatches
·         Kettlebell Clean & Press
·         Kettlebell Push Press

·         Barbell Cleans
·         Barbell Squats
·         Barbell Deadlifts

General Programming:
These exercises are formatted into a three day workout program during a one week cycle combined with other more single joint exercises (Hey, I want my arms to look big again…).  I make it to the gym 2-3 times per week based on my recovery and how my body is adapting to the stress.  I perform 3 Sets of 5-10 reps.  If I can hit 10 reps, the resistance goes up.  Recovery between sets is based on how I feel.  There are times I feel a bit sick to my stomach and need a few minutes.  Other sets, I can drop the weight and pick it right back up in a minute or two.

Nutrition:
I eat 5-6 small meals a day always including protein and carbohydrates.  Each workout is followed by a whey protein smoothie mixed with orange juice and fresh fruit.

Recovery:
This includes a comprehensive stretching program after each training day that deals with any movement imbalances or motor control issues I’ve developed due to losing so much weight.  Most commonly these include an elevated scapula due to stressful breathing patterns in response to pain and posterior pelvic tilt of my iliofemoral joints (hip) due to extremely tight biceps femoris (hamstrings).

In Closing:
I have been training this way now for 3 weeks and have packed on at least 4 pounds of lean body mass while feeling that I have better control of the side-effects the chemotherapy I am currently taking tends to dish out.  In short, fatigue does not have a strong grip on me as it used to.  I feel stronger, more confident and can endure more during the day which allows me to enjoy other aspects of my life longer and more frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment